As this year goes forward, we will continue our efforts to sustain high-performing current grantees seeking renewed funding.
While we have limited funds available for new, non-Foundation-initiated grantmaking, if, after reviewing our Guidelines and grants lists, you believe that your work and the results you can already document achieving are directly and measurably in line with the Foundation’s priorities, we want to know about what you are doing via a Letter of Inquiry submitted through our grant portal. We will follow up with you if we need more information; you may find our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) helpful in this process.
This does not apply to current Altman grantees, who should prepare full applications following the directions in the Proposal section on the grant portal.
- We fund only organizations that are recognized by the Internal Revenue Service as having 501(c)(3) status and that, as a general rule, are not private foundations.
- The Foundation does not make grants to individuals for any purpose.
- Grant requests from organizations and programs outside of the State of New York cannot be considered for funding. In addition, Altman Foundation grants focus almost without exception on organizations and programs within the five boroughs of New York City.
- As a general rule, the Foundation does not fund the following:
- Bricks and mortar, other capital projects, or the purchase of capital equipment
- Galas, benefits, and other fundraising events
- Conferences or symposia that are not connected to current Altman grants
- Concerts, theater or media performances, or art exhibitions that are not connected to current Altman grants
- Instructional programming or artist-in-residence programs within the public schools or in correctional facilities
- Budget deficits
- Disease-specific projects, with the exception of initiatives aligned with our revised guidelines
- Public universities or ongoing programs of private colleges and universities
- Operating expenses and ongoing services of either public or voluntary hospitals